Thursday, July 5, 2012

Vegetable Magic!

I can do magic. Don't believe me? With a wave of my spatula I can turn these:
Into <poof> THIS!

That, my friends, is a chocolate beet cake. Yes, it tastes like chocolate and tastiness. Yes, it is full of roasted beets. Try it, you'll like it! I used this recipe from Joy the Baker, with a few changes for veganization. The beets make your cake seriously moist, with the added benefit of turning your hands a color that will make you mutter Lady Macbeth quotes under your breath!
"What, will these hands ne'er be clean?"
Mixing the beets into the batter - and later into the frosting - is the second most fun part. Nature's Red Dye Number 2!
But without question the most fun is making your friends guess what's in their slice of cake. They'll never get it! They're too busy making noises about how delicious it is!

And while these may not be magic, they are simple and delicious:
Some tasty CSA green beans, a little curry powder, some slivered almonds. You could toss this over some rice or some nice whole grains. But if you're like me you'll be too lazy and will just stuff them into your mouth. Don't worry, I won't tell.






1 comment:

  1. Great concept for a cake that's both healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete